From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ssmtp.conf security concern
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:54:42
1 Good afternoon,
2
3 I solved my problem of a few days ago by adding
4
5 AuthUser=festus@×××××.com
6 AuthPass=PASSWORD
7
8 to /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf. This was related to my ISP now requiring SMTP
9 AUTH for mail. But I'm concerned about the security implications of
10 having this in a world-readable file. If this was only necessary to get
11 mutt mail off my system, I could just add
12
13 set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -au festus@×××××.com -ap PASSWORD"
14
15 to my .muttrc file. But cron also need this in order to mail me results
16 of nightly jobs using mailx. I realize this is just a single user
17 system, but this solution just doesn't seem right. Are there config
18 options that can be placed in individual $HOME rc files, ie.
19 $HOME/.ssmtp.conf. I can't seem to track down much documentation on
20 ssmtp.conf. I don't really want to go with something fullblown like
21 sendmail.
22
23 Thanks,
24 festus
27 It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
28 clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.
29 Noam Chomsky