From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chromium build failure
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 22:07:49
1 On Wed, Jan 31 2018, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:29 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 > [snip]
5 >> I have two questions, one trivial, one hopefully easy.
6 >>
7 >> 1. (trivial) In your recipe did you mean "rsync", not "sync"?
8 >
9 > I sync ("emerge --sync") only one machine, and then I rsync from there to
10 > my other computers. After the rsync is done, you need to do "emerge
11 > --metadata" in the recipient machine (--sync does that for you
12 > automatically).
13
14 So sync referred to an emerge command and when you copied files from
15 machine to machine you used rsync. Thanks.
16 >
17 >> 2. I have a number of quickpkgs built. Is it needed that
18 >> they all be updated and some removed or can I just do
19 >> the following command
20 >>
21 >> rsync -Pvase ssh machine1:/var/portage/packages/www-client \
22 >> /var/portage/packages
23 >>
24 >> Notes: I use /var not /usr for portage
25 >> machine2 has no dir /var/portage/packages/www-client
26 >
27 > I honestly don't know. There is a /usr/portage/packages/Packages with a lot
28 > of meta information, and I'm not 100% sure whether is absolutely required.
29 > Then again, creating binary packages is so fast that I usually delete
30 > /usr/portage/packages after updating my non-compiling machines. I know of
31 > people who maintain a large repository of binary packages (they can be
32 > built automatically with FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf), but I just
33 > create them when needed.
34
35 I have FEATURES="buildsyspkg" on all machines for safety.
36 It has worked in the sense that I have never needed to use
37 the resulting packages.
38
39 But I see your point that /var/portage/packages/Packages
40 may need to be updated on the target machine so it is probably
41 best to do your rsync of all of /var/portage/packages
42 >
43 > Regards.
44 > --
45 > Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés