From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig ?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 06:05:07
1 On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:01 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > After copying the current ".config" to the newly linked sources
4 > (/usr/src/linux) I use to run 'make oldconfig'. Now, looking at
5 > the gentoo wiki [1] I see (2) choices but no 'make oldconfig'::
6 >
7 > 1) #make silentoldconfig
8 >
9 > 2) #make olddefconfig
10 >
11 > 3) #make oldconfig
12 >
13 > (3) still seems to work. (2) uses defaults so I do not want that, but
14 > what about (1)? What's the difference between (1) and (3) ? Where do
15 > I read about them of find the sources?
16 >
17 > I did notice after running (3) and then 'make && make modules install'
18 > the slilentoldconfig script was ran (it flashed by quickly)::
19 >
20 > scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
21
22 olddefconfig uses defaults for new symbols but oldconfig for "old"
23 symbols. It's the same as 'yes "" | make oldconfig'.
24
25 From "make help", silentoldconfig="Same as oldconfig, but quietly,
26 additionally update deps". But there's so much screen output when you
27 run them that I don't think that you can spot the difference (I
28 couldn't when I tried a few years ago; and IIRC 'yes "" | make
29 silentoldconfig' fails - I can't remember why).