From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 first installation
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:11:07
1 On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Does it not display any errors?
3 >
4 > No - no errors, straight to the grub2 command line.
5 >
6 >> This menu entry looks good to me
7 >> (only difference here is kernel version, UUIDs and root partition).
8 >> Sounds like it may not be installed correctly... just to confirm here
9 >> are the few things you should have to do:
10 >>
11 >> 1. Edit "/etc/default/grub" Perhaps disable quiet stuff and any
12 >> graphical settings just for now.
13 >> 2. Run "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg"
14 >> 3. Run "grub2-install --no-floppy /dev/sda"
15 >
16 > Yes that's what i did. No changes to default/grub though.
17 >
18 >> If you have another hard drive it's possible the order is different
19 >> from when you installed grub, but this would give an error
20 >
21 > Its a single disk system, and grub1 was fine before i installed grub2.
22 >
23 > I am assuming that if i don't need an initrd in grub1 i likewise don't
24 > need one in grub2.
27 I just tested to see if I could reproduce your problem. The only way
28 I could reproduce it is to not have a grub.cfg file. So either you
29 forgot to do the step or you put it in the wrong place.