From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop keeps freezing
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:36:59
1 On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:26:34AM -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
3 > and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
4 > is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
5 > do you troubleshoot something like this?
6
7 The first thing to determine is that whether it is freezing of the
8 user interface or the underlying kernel. For desktops I often compile
9 the kernel with the option that it flashes the keyboard LEDs when it
10 is panicking, so I can see at a glance that the omelette has hit the
11 fan.
12
13 So:
14 a) This freezing behaviour, does it manifest only in X, or does it
15 happen if you boot into a non-graphical environment?
16 b) If both, is it possible to have your laptop on a private network
17 with ssh/telnet listening? If so, please see if after the freezing
18 behaviour, you can still telnet/ssh into the laptop? If you can, can
19 you run top from the terminal and see if anything is just taking up
20 100% resource?
21
22 Other things to check:
23 c) could your laptop be overheating?
24 d) is this a new phenomenon or something that has happened
25 consistently since the dawn of time? i.e. did you update any software
26 recently or is this something that just happened right out of the box
27 with your spanking new hardware?
28 e) If this is a spanking new machine, and if it comes with one of
29 the bastard OSes pre-installed, does this also happen running that
30 operating system? (Maybe you are due a refund?)
31
32 HTH,
33
34 W
35 --
36 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
37 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
38 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list