From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fast checksumming of whole partitions
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:48:28
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [10-06-07 20:04]:
2 > On 06/07/2010 08:48 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > >Does anyone has experiences with gparted?
5 > >Is it recommended (I need support for ext4)?
6 >
7 > I've used it many times for DOS and ext3. The program says it supports
8 > ext4
9 > but I've never tried ext4 so I can't comment.
10 >
11 > Gparted is just a gui front-end for parted, which copies individual
12 > partitions
13 > but not whole disks. If you have only one partition then it should be
14 > equivalent,
15 > I think, to copying the disk.
18 There are three additional questions for me. Since I now have
19 successfully copied one disk to another I have to decide
20 whether I simply repartition the first and copy the contents
21 from the second to the first or to gparted the first one.
22
23 I tend to do the first thing, since it seems difficult to me
24 to check, whether the result of processing the disk with gparted
25 is correct.
26
27 Therefore the three questions for me are:
28 1) Gparted or repartitioning?
29 2) What is the most efficient way of copying the contents of one
30 partition to another one on per-file-basis, which preserves as
31 much as possible of file attributes including the file times?
32 3) Excluding typos and other fatal errors: Will it will always
33 preserve and leave intact the contents (for example) of
34 the first four (1,2,3,6) partitions when repartitioning as follows:
35
36 Old ==> New
37 1 100M 100M
38 2 100G 100G
39 3 100G 100G
40 5 extended extended
41 6 100G 100G
42 7 200G 100G
43 8 300G 200G
44 9 400G 350G
45 10 ---- 250G
48 ???
49
50 Excluding any kind of experience, which I do not have
51 in this last case I tend to say "Yes" ... but ...
52
53 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
54
55 Best regards,
56 mcc
60 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
61 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
62 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
63 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.