From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 03:17:34
1 On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm running a Core2-duo desktop from 2008 with 3 gigs of ram. I want
3 > to run it into the ground, not throw it away while it's still
4 > functional.
5
6 Unfortunately this isn't a viable strategy because typically you will,
7 in a few months, if not a single month, spend more in electricity
8 costs than you would purchasing a new single board computer.
9
10 > With Gentoo optimization, pluse using ICEWM, it's generally
11 > snappy. But there are a few web pages that throw the kitchen sink of
12 > 3rd-pary adservers+trackers. 178 unique servers for one web page will
13 > peg the load from the web browser to 150% of 1 cpu core. On a 2-core
14 > machine, that is bad. The browser is unresponsive for a few seconds at
15 > a time.
16 >
17 > I'm building up a rather large hosts file, but the adservers have a
18 > gazillion subnames for each domain, in a deliberate attempt to bypass
19 > hosts files. It would be more effective block entire domains. Is there
20 > a lightweight DNS server, or some iptables trick, or whatever, that'll
21 > block specified domains?
24 Your single board computer of choice should be able to handle this. If
25 you need routing capability you are better off building a computer
26 from scratch. There's mini-ITX boards available with soldered-on
27 processors that are probably comparable to your system from 2008, but
28 they use far less electricity.
29
30 You could also buy a router and replace the firmware with OpenWRT.
31 Most have enough space for some pretty involved service provisioning.
32
33 R0b0t1.