From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox Display Broken After xorg Upgrade -- SOLVED
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 14:29:48
1 Al wrote:
2 > Drew Tomlinson wrote:
5 >> I'm not sure where to start. I upgraded from xorg 1.4 to xorg 1.6. I
6 >> also followed the ATI Migration guide at
7 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/ati-migration-guide.xml.
8 >>
9 >> Everything seems fine except now Virtualbox 3.0.2 guest displays are
10 >> unreadable. Before the upgrade, Virtualbox displays were OK. Basically
11 >> it looks like when one has a bad modeline for X. If I click on the
12 >> guest window to close, I get a Virtualbox pop up asking if I want to
13 >> shutdown or power off the guest. When this pops up, the screen is a
14 >> slightly readable black and white version. Guest machines are Windows 7
15 >> and Windows XP. Both have the same symptoms.
16 >>
17 >> I've rebuilt virtualbox-bin and -modules. I've Googled but can't seem
18 >> to find the right google-fu to turn anything up.
19 >>
20 >> Any suggestions on how to get things working again?
21 >>
22 >> Thanks,
23 >>
24 >> Drew
27 > Hi I have the same problem however I have been able to start a machine from
28 > the comand line,
29 >
30 > ~ VirtualBox -rmode sdl -startvm < name of your machine>
31 >
32 > I also tried VirtualBox -rmode image -startvm < name of your machine>
33 > but this gave the same unreadable screen.
34 >
35 > The same results repeated with a new machine also.
36 > Installing the guest additions has no effect.
37 >
38 > Have not got around to investigating any further yet.
41 I tried moving my old xorg.conf out of the way and running X without any
42 conf. Then I started a Virtualbox machine and the display was fine.
43 Must have been something in the old xorg.conf that didn't jive with the
44 xorg 1.6.
45
46 Everything else worked too except my synaptics touchpad. I killed X and
47 ran X -configure and let it create a xorg.conf file for me. Then I cut
48 an pasted the synaptics part from my old file into this new and
49 restarted X. Everything now works.
50
51 Thanks for the help.
52