From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've hosed portage
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:51:10
1 On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:29:57AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:31:29 -0600, John J. Foster wrote:
3 >
4 > > This was installed in an empty VM and it would be real slow to recompile
5 > > all of Gentoo. There has to be a way to fix it.
6 >
7 > You could unpack a stage 3 tarball to a temporary location then copy the
8 > portage files over. If you have portage-utils or equery installed and
9 > working, you could use qlist or equery to generate a list of files to
10 > copy.
11 >
12 > Alternatively, as you are using VMs, begin a basic stage 3 install in a
13 > new VM, as far as being able to quickpkg portage, then unpack the tarball
14 > in the root of the broken VM.
15 >
16 Thanks so much Neil, option #1 worked just fine, followed by a
17 emerge -auvDN world
18 emerge --depclean
19 revdep-rebuild
20
21 I think what I did wrong in following the instuctions for repairing portage
22 as described at
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
25
26 was that I blindly just copied and pasted, thereby bringing in a way old
27 version. I'm not sure, though (probably more because of too much Patron).
28 But it didn't work.
29
30 Thanks so much for your help!
31