From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Akonadi loses mails
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:13:25
1 Am Mittwoch 24 August 2011, 22:11:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > I am about to get on a damn plane to Germany, find me the entire
3 > collection of KDEPIM devs and shoot every last one of those fuckers
4 > dead. dead. dead. dead.
5 >
6 > Then blow up the repo so this POS will never again see the light of
7 > day.
8 >
9 > I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there imports
10 > KDE folders so I use my usual trick of running a local imap server,
11 > dragging mail trees into it and when the new mail client is started,
12 > everything is right there.
13 >
14 > Akonadi/kmail2 silently destroys the mail when you attempt this.
15 >
16 > I did a few tests, copied small folders, contents of other folders,
17 > etc and satisfied myself it all worked nicely. Then dragged and
18 > dropped nice big chunks of mail tree into the IMAP folders. The mails
19 > appear in the kde view, but THEY ARE NOT ON DISK ANYMORE. What I am
20 > seeing is the akonadi cache, and sooner or later that will expire.
21
22 and you looked at the contents of .local/share/akonadi especially
23 local/share/akonadi/file_db_data?
26 > There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of mail
27 > disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi didn't do
28 > it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer had moved and
29 > consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes while it reindexed
30 > everything. It appears to have just chucked 2GB of pim data away.
31
32 just restart akonadi (akonaditray helps a lot).
33 >
34 > Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary design
35 > goal (or should be).
36 >
37 > Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other ex-KDE
38 > users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
39 > solution to a problem that actually does not exist.
40
41 you were not forced to go kmail2, were you?
42
43 You should have asked me first - yes, it is a crapfest. I haven't lost mails
44 (except thanks to crashes at a bad moment). Sometimes mails are gone - until
45 akonadi is stopped and restarted.
46
47 It is a nightmare. Yeah.
50 #163933