From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Slow SSD
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 21:44:59
1 I just put an SSD into my hp dl585g7.  I used the provided sata SSD drive connector, it's on the same sata driver that runs the optical drive.  It's terribly slow to boot etc.  Is this just a slow controller designed to keep up with an optical drive and swamped by an SSD?  would pulling the optical drive help?   I may wind up hooking it to the internal SAS controller with a suitable cable (there are 2 cables to the plugable hard drive area, i could swap one for another cable as I'm only using 2 hard drives.  I'd just need to extend the power from the built in ssd connector.  Advice?   Suggestions??  At this point it's slow to boot like a thumb drive on USB 2 or an optical drive.  I have an identical SSD in my desktop and it runs near the rated 500MB/s so I'm confident the SSD is good.
4 "We the People Dare to Create a More Perfect Union" <aclu.org>