From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:32:37
1 On 6/30/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Sean wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I recently replaced the fans and heat sinks on my dual opterons to
5 > > bring the temp down, I was also very much trying to bring the nose
6 > > level down from the fans.
7 > >
8 > > I used 2 copper heat fans with heat pipes from thermaltake, and put
9 > > some 90 mm fans on each cpu/heatsink.
10 > > I also put a new case around them to improve air flow.
11 > >
12 > > You want more air being pulled out of your box then going in.
13 > > I manually monitor and control the fan speed and with the new setup I
14 > > have been able to get the processor fans rpms down to 1800-2000, a
15 > > real help to reduce noise, with the temp averaging about 46c when idle.
16 > >
17 > > When I have done something, perhaps emerge some program, whatever,
18 > > temp goes to about 50-52c.
19 > >
20 > > Check the specs on your processor to see what the operating temp range
21 > > is so you do not burn things up.
22 > >
23 > > Hope it helps,
24 > > Sean
25 > Well, I have a AMD 2500+ and mine doesn't run near that temp. Just
26 > plain old air cooling with folding running and I am at 37 and 27. I
27 > have a ThermalTake 12 on mine.
28 >
29 > Why does everybody have these high temps??
32 Notebooks are usually hotter than desktops, also, when your room
33 temperature is about 30C, you will NEVER get 27C on your processor,
34 and, well, have you consider checking your sensors to see if they're
35 working fine (maybe checking the BIOS hardware monitor, if available),
36 cause I never saw a computer running 100% CPU load that does not rise
37 to 30 or 40C.
40 Daniel da Veiga
41 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
47 --