From: "Lluís Batlle i Rossell" <viric@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Esperanto locale
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:17:45
1 On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:08:46AM -0500, purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
2 > (1) you can't input Esperanto into a terminal,
3 > but UTF-8 terminals (Mlterm, Uxterm) can display it,
4 > so you can do greps, if you need to;
5
6 'xterm' also works fine with unicode. Anyway... if you don't want multibyte
7 character support, you could use a "latin3" font, and use only English and
8 Esperanto (or any other language included in latin3).
9
10 If you want to use UTF-8 in your terminals, it's nice to have ncurses compiled
11 for wide_char support. I think that isn't still achived in gentoo ebuilds for
12 ncurses. Well, it's simple to compile ncurses that way, and install the widechar
13 libs. :)
14
15 > (2) you can easily set up Vim to use Esperanto;
16 How? Using 'X' is easy, having a configured X keyboard is easy... Maybe you talk
17 about some 'vim' include file, which translates from x-writting to "cxapelitan".
18 :)
19
20 > (3) you can get Open Office to handle it with a bit more work.
21 That's only about X.
22
23 Well, I give the link again, for configuring xorg for 'eo':
24 http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/doc/linukso-lingva-howto.html
27 > as for use, i've been using it to read the Old Testament of the Bible,
28 > of which there is an excellent translation by Ludwig Zamenhof himself
29 > (he created Esperanto in his mid-20s -- a typical Gentoo age -- c 1887 ),
30 hahaha :)
31 > which is much clearer to read than the usual English versions.
32 >
33 > my ancestors spoke Welsh & Estonian & i read Ancient Greek & Latin,
34 > so the more European languages the better, i'ld say (grin).
35 haha :)
39 | Lluís Batlle i Rossell |Tel.Olot. 972 26 71 24|
40 | Membre de [s3os] (www.s3os.net) | BCN. 93 16 22 680|
41 | viric@××××××.org / ICQ# 9658637 | Mòb. 654 08 67 35|
42 | +info personal: http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/ | Santa Pau / Catalunya|
44 Cita:
45 - Press any key to accept the license.
46 (Dell Computers)
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list