From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zoom?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 13:41:40
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:19 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > Web tabs are fairly highly sandboxed in most browsers. Suffice it to
6 > say something running in a web tab isn't going to be spying on your
7 > process list/etc.
8 >
9 OK, fair enough. I would prefer a browser-only interface anyway, if possible
10
11 (BTW: to your knowledge, does that apply to chrome (not chromium)?
12
13 > An application can basically do absolutely anything you can do from a
14 > shell unless you've done something to contain it. Running it in a
15 > container would obviously be one way of containing it. Running it
16 > under another UID would be another, though users can generally see all
17 > the processes in the system and read any file that is world-readable.
18 >
19 > I'm not sure how the flatpak version of zoom that was mentioned
20 > earlier is packaged. I believe flatpak is container-based, but I
21 > haven't used it and I can't speak to how well-contained it actually
22 > is, either in general or in its implementation of this particular
23 > application. In theory they could make it very secure, but that
24 > doesn't mean that they did.
25
26 I'm checking Jitsi. Seems nicer than zoom.
30 > Oh, and keep in mind that X11 itself isn't the most secure piece of
31 > software in existence. In particular any window on your desktop can
32 > spy on the keyboard input into any other window on your desktop,
33 > unless you're employing protective measures that nobody actually
34 > employs outside of maybe pinentry (I haven't checked that one and I
35 > forget if it is completely modal - as in you can't type in any other
36 > x11 window while it is displayed).
37
38 Right. I propose using a dedicated X session, in a VT other than the
39 usual one. Having more than one X session alive is easy, at least for
40 users of ligthweight stuff like openbox.
41
42 Thanks for the input
43
44 Jorge