From: Josh Helmer <joshhelmer@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need a script that will add pwdfail IPs to shorewall blacklist
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 05:02:38
1 > Yes, I see that on all our servers. Not much more than an annoyance unless
2 > you have stupidly obvious passwords, but annoying for sure. On customer
3 > servers that don't require access from the everywhere and anywhere I just
4 > configure hosts.allow and hosts.deny to drop traffic from all but known
5 > addresses, but this is of course not an option for a webserver or whatever.
6 >
7 > There have been lots of discussions on various lists about handling these
8 > brute force ssh scripts, with various strategies for having iptables rules
9 > limit login attempts after three unsuccessful attempts, but I've seen as
10 > many "it didn't work for me" posts as "do it this way" and not being a
11 > firewall guru, I've sat on the fence so far.
12 >
13 > I think the problem with just blacklisting IPs is that the list will just
14 > grow and grow as these cretins move around all the time.
15 >
16 > Oh for a small incendiary device that could be targeted by IP address! ;-)
17
18 I want one of those too!!!
19
20 I realize that security experts cringe when I say this, but most of these
21 automated attacks are pretty stupid and you can make yourself invisible to
22 most of them by simply having ssh use a different port. I am not saying that
23 doing so gives you any more security than leaving ssh at port 22 - especially
24 against a determined cracker. You still need to apply appropriate security
25 safeguards like firewall rules, host allow settings, good passwords or better
26 yet password-less login, etc... But, it does significantly reduce the number
27 of random brute-force attacks that you see. I personally went from seeing 20
28 or so of these a day to not having seen one in weeks. Low hanging fruit and
29 all of that...
30
31 Josh