From: Chris Cox <yeahsowhat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm2/external partitions question
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:26:40
1 On Monday 29 August 2005 07:50 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > My new A8N-E/AMD64 hardware came up the first time. SATA/DVD/CDRW
4 > all seen. LiveCD boots fine. memtest86 has been running for the last
5 > hour and looks good so far. All looks good so I'll start a Gentoo
6 > install pretty soon.
7 >
8 > I'm looking at LVN2 for this install. The main drive is 250GB. I'm
9 > wondering a couple of things:
10 >
11 > 1) Should use all of the drive, other than the boot and swap
12 > partitions, for the main LVN partition and then let LVN subdivide it
13 > as needs come up as per the Gentoo-wiki on LVN2? This would meen, as I
14 > understand it, that there would never been more than real partitions
15 > on the drive.
16
17 You can use it all or into chunks of 20GB each as the how-to suggests; either
18 way is fine. When you create your partitions like /usr, /opt, /home, etc.
19 what I would suggest is give them 5GB or so each. Then when you need more
20 space you can run /sbin/lvresize to give it more space and then adjust the
21 file system with resize_reiserfs (if your using reiserfs), to resize them as
22 needed. I use reiserfs on everything and I've done it on live file systems
23 like /usr, /var, /home without needed to unmount them. I've been using
24 LVM2 for a couple months now and so far I'm pretty pleased with it.
25
26 Anyway, just my 2 cents..
29 Chris
30 Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP
31 00:10:21 up 5:29, 6 users, load average: 1.68, 1.58, 1.42
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list