From: Neal McConachie <McConachieNeal@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] POSTFIX mail hub configuration
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:47:13
1 Dan Farrell said the following:
2 > Hi all! I have a central mailhub for my network and I want it to
3 > recieve mail for all hosts on the network. It is the only host capable
4 > of actually recieving mail and so I would like anything addressed to
5 > *.spore.ath.cx to go to spore.ath.cx instead.
6 >
7 Hi Dan,
8 I might be wrong on this, but I think this will work:
9
10 The idea is to have your mail.spore.ath.cx box process all your mail.
11 If I understand you correctly, you want any mail, whether sent
12 internally, or received externally, to end up on this box. So first of
13 all, it has to recognize that it should be the final destination for
14 mail addressed like that.
15
16 (a preliminary step, which it looks like you've already done, is to have
17 your router pass any incoming SMTP traffic to mail.spore.ath.cx)
18
19 1) mydestination =
20 - change it to include all the other hosts on your local network
21 that you want to accept mail for.
22 ex: mydestination = $mydomain, localhost.$mydomain, mail.$mydomain,
23 davey.$mydomain, foo.$mydomain
24
25 Now, that's all well and good, but it also has to know what an
26 acceptable <user>@*.spore.cth.cx is.
27
28 2) local_recipient_maps =
29 - this one may or may not need to be changed, I don't know enough
30 about it to give you any solid advice - check the documentation on this
31 one. It will depend on how you're authenticating users, too...
32
33 Once those things are done, any external email that's addressed to any
34 of your machines should be nicely deposited on your mailserver.
35
36 The next thing to consider is mail that gets sent internally. For that,
37 each of the machines on your network should use mail.$mydomain as their
38 relay host. For this to work, a) the mailserver has to be willing to
39 relay their mail, and b) they need to know that they should relay mail
40 to the mailserver.
41
42 3a)(on the mailserver) mynetworks=
43 - this should be set to allow your local network to relay mail
44 through the mailserver. It looks like you've set it up already.
45
46 3b)(on each machine) relayhost=
47 - here, I'm assuming that you're using postfix to send mail on each
48 of your hosts. You'll want to put in mail.$mydomain as your relay host.
49
50 Oh, and actually, you also need:
51 mydestination=<blank> on each local machine - this is assuming you want
52 all logs and such going to the mailserver too - I'm not sure if that's
53 what you want or not... You could play around with this by allowing
54 localhost as a destination on each machine, and specifying
55 root@localhost as the log email destination, for example.
56
57 Hope that helps,
58 - nkm