From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 07:57:37
1 Am Sonntag 21 Juni 2009 01:51:34 schrieb Maxim Wexler:
2 > > So you should really put device-mapper into the boot runlevel. And btw,
3 > > why do
4 > > compile things as modules which you need in any case? Doesn't make sense
5 > > to me.
6 >
7 > I put device-mapper into the boot runlevel. I re-compiled the kernel
8 > with dm-mod=<*>, dm_crypt=<*>, mmc_block=<*> and rebooted.
9 >
10 > No change.
11 >
12 > Near the start of boot messages this appears:
13 >
14 > *Setting up the Logical Volume Manager
15 > Locking type 1 initilisation failed.
16
17 That's just a warning. Hmm, I even wonder why it appears at all, because it
18 indicates that /var/lock/lvm is not writeable/available and the lvm startup
19 code uses the --ignorelockingfailure option for all lvm commands. That may
20 also be a hint that there is still some bl1 stuff around on your system.
21
22 > There follows a couple of screenfuls of self-abuse then
23
24 Could you please remove rc.log, reboot and post the fresh rc.log?
25
26 BTW: Do you see messages like this:
27
28 * device-mapper uses addon code which is deprecated
29 * and may not be available in the future.
30
31 Also: What are your versions of bl2 and openrc?
32
33 Did you compare the contents of those packages (esp. openrc) with the contents
34 of your /etc/runlevels?
35
36 It may also help to wipe /etc/runlevels and copy the contents of
37 /usr/share/openrc/runlevels/ into it, then add symlinks for lvm, device-mapper
38 and (if needed) dmcrypt to the boot runlevel again.
39
40 Bye...
41
42 Dirk