From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: method to limit transfer speeds
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 05:33:05
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:45:16 -0400
2 Willie Wong wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:06:09PM -0500, Penguin Lover Jeremy Olexa squawked:
5 > > Hello,
6 > > I am wondering how any of you limit transfer speeds on a specific
7 > > protocol. I do not need any server type applications for managing a
8 > > network, I just need a method to limit something like HTTP traffic or
9 > > SSH traffic on my box only so I don't use up our entire connection that
10 > > is shared with 4 other guys in the house. There is surprisingly little
11 > > information about doing this (that I could find).
12 >
13 > There once was a program in portage call net-misc/trickle, I used to use it
14 > for bittorrent downloads to throttle download speeds across multiple
15 > instances. It had not been updated since 2003 and so was dropped from
16 > portage (which is a shame, since it is probably the only program of
17 > its kind). Its home page is
18 > http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle
19
20 That is a shame!
23 > Other than that, you probably would need to think about stuff like
24 > iproute2 with tcng... do a search on packages.gentoo.org for "traffic
25 > control" or "packet shaping".
28 some programs have rate limiting built in. You mentioned http traffic -
29 if you are downloading large files you can use
30
31 wget --limit-rate=10k http://big.server/large/file/you.want
32
33 Hard to see how you would max out a connection with ssh unless you are
34 transferring files via scp. This too has a rate limiter
35
36 -l limit
37 Limits the used bandwidth, specified in Kbit/s.
38
39 (I didn't know that until i just looked it up!)
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list