From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about genkernel's default kernel config
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 08:32:42
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 4:10 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > The ones created by genkernel or dracut always need a few iterations before
4 > they work semi-reliably and are not flexible enough.
5 > I have 2 disks in my laptop. Both are encrypted using LUKS and the same
6 > passphrase. Neither genkernel nor dracut have the intelligence to ask me once
7 > and try the key on both, only asking for a 2nd key when the provided one
8 > doesn't work for both.
9 >
10 > I ended up writing my own, which has proven more reliable and stable. The
11 > reduced size also makes maintenance less of an issue.
14 Nothing wrong with this if you know what you're doing. Dracut is
15 designed to be one-size-fits-all with a lot of logic to figure out
16 what your system needs to boot.
17
18 It is also somewhat dependent on a correct fstab. Don't take that for
19 granted: the kernel doesn't look at fstab at all when mounting root,
20 and neither do most of the other tools, so if your root partition
21 isn't correctly defined in fstab you might never know it and dracut
22 will get confused. If nothing else once it does have it correctly
23 mounted it will read fstab and then mess it up when it re-mounts root
24 per "your" instructions.
25
26 If you just need to tweak dracut behavior you may be better off with a
27 dracut module. They're just shell scripts and pretty simple to write.
28 That lets you tweak something at some point during boot without having
29 to build the entire thing yourself.
30
31 And since it uses udev it is fairly robust against things like adding
32 a drive and now the kernel re-letters everything.
33
34 If you tweak it to use the same password for all drives I wouldn't be
35 surprised if upstream accepts the patch...
38 Rich