From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:05:19
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I'm debating whether I should hire an expert programmer for $X/hour,
5 > or a company of expert programmers for $2X/hour. It makes sense from
6 > a financial perspective to hire programmers directly, but I wonder if
7 > there are benefits to hiring a really good company.
8
9 OK Grant,
10
11 Here is my suggestions:
12
13 Think about code integration/management/maintenance
14 of what your goals is. WHO is going to do this;
15 the consultant/programmer or someone in your company?
16
17 If you know or get solid references to a qualified individuals,
18 the direct is always better, imho.
19
20 What is your target linux distro? Flexible?
21 Just coding or some deep thinking about the
22 server(s) processes and distributed/redundancy
23 or other hardware issues that will affect the
24 running code and configuration?
27 If not direct, you can use a company and and replace the programmer
28 until you are satisfied with the work-product. Big companies will
29 often present marginally qualified folks and then move up the
30 skill tree, as it is always easy for them to place top-notch
31 folks; so you have to be a bit demanding on the software house.
34 If all you have to do is fuss to the Company and they manage everything
35 else, 2X is the best solution. However, I've used some
36 pretty big houses with lots of experts and had to
37 'surf through' quite a few folks, until you get the one(s)
38 you want. It is still better than searching yourself,
39 unless you or somebody you trust knows someone really good.
40 Expert coders may charge much more, but, they get work
41 done faster and with a higher (easy to maintain)
42 degree of excellence. Often the best is the least
43 expensive, if you are well organized (have written a
44 specification of exactly what you want and expect).
47 hth,
48 James