From: Matthew Cline <matthew.cline@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with ramdisk
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:52:46
1 On 8/17/05, Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Im building an x86 embedded distro using gentoo. Now i have been rather
5 > successful. I have built the whole system and it works, while only
6 > taking up 9mb (when gzipped).
7 >
8 > Now my question is how to get linux to load the gzipped image file into
9 > a ramdisk and use it as a root filesystem.
10 >
11 > Running the system directly from the CF card works great, but when
12 > trying to get it to run it in ram it fails
13 > with "kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)".
14 >
15 > My attempt at running the system from ram is as follows:
16 >
17 > (grub config file):
18 >
19 > kernel /vmlinuz initrd=/rootfs.gz root=/dev/ram0
20 >
21 > the rootfs.gz file is ~10Mb, and when uncompressed is an 100mb image
22 > (most of the image is free space to
23 > allow for future additions, this is a test bed).
26 > Now I presume this is probably what is incorrect, in which case can
27 > anyone help me regarding how to use
28 > ramdisks as root devices. (googling about tells me that the initrd image
29 > is not the root image, but rather
30 > a pre-root mounting fs to prepare the system for booting).
33 I'm not in front of my linux box right now, but try this for a grub config:
34
35 kernel /vmlinuz root=/rootfs.gz
38 HTH,
39