From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The latest java plugin is a giant PITA
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 18:30:16
1 On Sat, February 1, 2014 16:59, walt wrote:
2 > I admit that Oracle finally did something right by requiring a white-list
3 > of all java websites you want to use, but it's taken me all morning to
4 > understand how to do it.
5 >
6 > AFAICT, the only way to white-list a website is to use the Java Control
7 > Panel (jcontrol) and type the full URL including the http:// or preferably
8 > the https:// if you don't want a nag screen.
9 >
10 > For example, here's a site I visit every morning:
11 >
12 > http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-w.html which lets me watch a java-powered
13 > image loop of the weather over the Pacific Ocean.
14 >
15 > Now I click on the button to animate the image, and I get a pop-up saying
16 > that this untrusted website wants to do something awful and refuses to let
17 > it run java, period. No explanation of how I can 'trust' the website.
18 >
19 > How many people are going to figure out they need to run the Java Control
20 > Panel and manually add this site to the list of trusted sites?
21 >
22 > And, now that I've added "http://www.goes.noaa.gov" manually, I try the
23 > site again.
24 >
25 > Nope. The jar file I need is on a "different domain" (www.sdd.noaa.gov)
26 > so now I need to add that URL to the white list <sigh> including http://
27 >
28 > Now, I agree that they did it right from a security point of view, but
29 > jeez, they could have done the user interface a bit better.
30 >
31 > Or maybe they did it better and I haven't found it yet?
32
33 If there is a better way, please let me know.
34
35 The IPMI of my servers use a Java application to allow me to see the console.
36 The errors I got have included:
37 - You are using an old version, please upgrade
38 - This site is untrusted / certificate is wrong
39 - This java application is blocked
40
41 The last one led me to a page actually showing me how to "fix" this.
42
43 An easier way then to use the silly jconsole might be found in the
44 following location:
45
46 ~/.java/deployment/security/
47
48 HTH,
49
50 Joost
51
52 PS. If anyone knows how to get an SSL-certificate that is accepted by
53 this, please let me know.