From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stop eth0 from starting at boot
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:12:04
1 On Wednesday 10 March 2010 05:53:00 Dale wrote:
2 > Tony Miller wrote:
3 > > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 is not in any runlevels:
4 > >
5 > > o_0 tony # rc-update show
6 > > bootmisc | boot
7 > > checkfs | boot
8 > > checkroot | boot
9 > > clock | boot
10 > > consolefont | boot
11 > > hald | default
12 > > hostname | boot
13 > > keymaps | boot
14 > > local | default nonetwork
15 > > localmount | boot
16 > > modules | boot
17 > > net.lo | boot
18 > > net.wlan0 | default
19 > > netmount | default
20 > > ntp-client | default
21 > > rmnologin | boot
22 > > sshd | default
23 > > udev-postmount | default
24 > > urandom | boot
25 > > vixie-cron | default
26 > > xdm | default
27 > >
28 > > Yet it still insists on trying to start at boot! This isn't What I
29 > > Want, since this computer is a laptop and I generally use the wifi.
30 > >
31 > > Could it be related to udev or hotplug?
32 > >
33 > > Thanks,
34 > > -Tony
35 >
36 > This is a common problem. I am on baselayout 1 so if you are on
37 > baselayout 2, this may not help. In /etc/conf.d/rc file, add this line
38 > or edit the line you already have:
39 >
40 > RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.wlan !net.eth*"
41 >
42 > That should stop it from starting unless it is in a runlevel. If not,
43 > post back. Actually, post back either way. Let us know if that works
44 > or not.
45
46 The file is well commented to show all options. Just put "lo" in there and it
47 won't bother you again for any interface (other than localhost).
50 Regards,
51 Mick