From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Control Centre - what package provides fonts module?
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:42:10
1 On Sunday 09 August 2009 05:40:07 Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I use a Mac running OS X as my main desktop, but I really like knode
5 > on the rare occasions I use Usenet. So I have installed knode on a
6 > headless server and can ssh -X into it and knode works fine.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately, the fonts are pretty large - I would prefer to
9 > configure these on a KDE-wide basis, as the "Location, Edit, View, &c"
10 > is equally large in Konqueror, which opens if I click a link in a
11 > usenet posting in knode.
12
13 Did you just install knode, or more than that? knode gives you knode, not the
14 other 50 packages that make up a basic KDE session :-)
15
16 I suspect you might not have the control centre and it's modules at all, so
17 you don;t have the background settings daemon thingy that controls the look
18 and feel of all of kde.
19
20 Edit ~/.kderc to set defaults you like
21
22 Or you could install the kdebase-meta to get everything for a basic session. A
23 bit of a waste just for knode...
24
25 > Version of knode:
26 >
27 > $ eix knode
28 > [I] kde-base/knode
29 > Available versions:
30 > (3.5) 3.5.9 3.5.10
31 > (4.2) ~4.2.4
32 > (4.3) [M]~4.3.0!t
33 > {aqua arts debug elibc_FreeBSD handbook kdeenablefinal kdeprefix
34 > kontact xinerama}
35 > Installed versions: 3.5.10(3.5)(13:07:37 25/06/09)(-debug -
36 > elibc_FreeBSD)
37 > Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
43 > It appears that `kcmshell` is provided by kde-base/kdelibs, but I
44 > don't know what the "!t" in the below means:
45
46 The eix man page is written in Martian. You don't understand it, I don;t
47 understand it and the developer has no clue what he is doing - if he did, this
48 question would not arise. He is making the fatal flaw of "exposing the
49 implementation in the interface or documentation" But having said that, "!t"
50 means that knode is subject to
51
52 RESTRICT="test"
53
54 This fact is hidden deep in the man page, in section "OUTPUT", subsection
55 "Slots", 4th example. Line 647 of 709 on my box (terminal 100 chars wide)
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com