From: David Grant <davidgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:30:11
1 Try:
2 RC_HOTPLUG="no"
3 RC_COLPLUG="no"
4 RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no"
5
6 doing that I think will give you what you want.
7
8 Dave
11 On 9/25/06, Noack, Sebastian <S.Noack@××××××××××.de> wrote:
12 >
13 > Hi,
14 >
15 > at the weekend I upgraded to baselayout-1.12.5. And this is the worse
16 > version of baselayout since I'm using Gentoo.
17 >
18 > The first reason therefore is, that the kernel log is spamming to your
19 > console all the time, because of the loglevel doesn't become set to 1
20 > anymore.
21 >
22 > The workaround is to hack /etc/init.d/checkroot to call `dmesg -n 1` on
23 > startup, even though in /etc/conf.d/rc is a variable RC_DMESG_LOGLEVEL
24 > which is set to "1" by default, but it doesn't affect anything.
27 > The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
28 > attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
29 > started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
30 > Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
31 > anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
32 > it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
33 > RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].
34 >
35 > The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
36 > /etc/conf.d/rc.
39 > But however, the best workaround would be the following I guess. :)
40 >
41 > echo "~sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.5" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
44 > If I just misunderstood the new configurations of baselayout-1.12.5,
45 > feel free to answer, before other people apply my bad workarounds. ;)
48 > [1]
49 > # RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING allows some flexibility with the 'net' service.
50 > # The following values are allowed:
51 > # none - The 'net' service is always considered up.
52 > # no - This basically means that at least one net.* service besides
53 > net.lo
54 > # must be up. This can be used by notebook users that have a
55 > wifi and
56 > # a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time to have
57 > the
58 > # 'net' service seen as up.
59 > # lo - This is the same as the 'no' option, but net.lo is also
60 > counted.
61 > # This should be useful to people that do not care about any
62 > specific
63 > # interface being up at boot.
64 > # yes - For this ALL network interfaces MUST be up for the 'net'
65 > service to
66 > # be considered up.
69 > Regards
70 > Sebastian Noack