From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2008.0 Installation Question...
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:24:06
1 BRM schrieb:
2 > I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
3 > The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
4 >
5 > The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
6 >
7 > I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
8 > The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
9 >
10 > Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
11 > Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
12 > -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
13 >
14 > Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
15 >
16 > Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
17 >
18 > Ben
22 That sounds like a broken world file. try regenworld to fix this. After
23 that emerge -uvaDn world to fix all deps. If you didn't unemerge any
24 package (python gcc or so) you should get all dependencies that way. Run
25 revdep-rebuild will help some more afterwards.