From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Booting an exernal usb drive from grub
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:30:10
1 My server box died last week, and, as it was about ten years old, I
2 decided to replace it. My wife and I opened the case and removed the
3 hard drive (A major undertaking for us, I might add). We hooked the old
4 hard drive up to a hard drive enclosure and plugged it via USB into a
5 new computer we bought this morning. This new computer runs Windows
6 Vista and only Windows Vista. I want to run Gentoo Linux on the
7 enclosure. I have to keep Windows on it because all the computer repair
8 shoppes around here only know Windows, and will be confused if I take it
9 in to be repaired and it isn't running Windows. I planned to install
10 grub on the main internal hard drive and use that to boot to the USB
11 drive. I checked the BIOS, and there's no option to boot to USB. I've
12 spent a couple of hours today googling this question, but all I can seem
13 to find is how to do this from a linux partition other than the one on
14 the USB drive. Is this even possible, and if so, how would I do it?
15 -Michael Sullivan-