From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Custom Timer Frequency (CONFIG_HZ)?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:36:36
1 On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 14:27, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 08/11/2011 09:56 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Just wondering, is it possible to specify a custom timer frequency?
5 >> E.g., HZ=500 instead of one of the canned values (100, 250, 300,
6 >> 1000).
7 >
8 > It is possible, but it's a bad idea because non-standard values can result
9 > in driver breakage.  Some code assumes specific timer granularities (100Hz =
10 > 10ms, 250Hz = 4ms, etc).  This usually happens with values above 1000Hz, so
11 > it might be possible to experiment with non-standard sub-1000Hz values.
12 >
13 > But why do you want a custom value anyway?
16 Well, for a firewall, I've calculated (gathered and extrapolated from
17 a lot of sources), the latency per-packet is usually less than 1 ms,
18 at worst still less than 2 ms.
19
20 Thus, setting the timer freq to 100 Hz (as suggested for 'normal'
21 server load) means the timeslice is way too long (10 ms per time
22 slice).
23
24 So, I speculate that better -- and uniform -- performance will be
25 achieved with a timer freq of 500 Hz.
26
27 Of course, this is a wild speculation/guess from me. I never quite
28 understand netfilter/xtables' relation to the timeslices, so I may be
29 talking nonsense :-)
30
31 Rgds,
32 --