From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:18:50
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 13:51:47 schrieb Michael Mol:
4 >> Just don't buy a SAMSUNG drive. I know, I know, everyone has their pet
5 >> "Don't Buy Hard Drives Made By $x" experience.
6 >>
7 >> Here's mine.
8 >>
9 >> I bought a 1TB SAMSUNG drive for cheap from Newegg at a Black Friday
10 >> sale a couple years ago. It failed on me. Around the same time, I
11 >> identified some flaws in the firmware which I considered severe[2].
12 >>
13 >> I RMA'd the drive, including a full report on the failure and the bugs
14 >> I'd found in the firmware. I received the new drive in the mail. Same
15 >> exact model. Same exact firmware revision.[1] It failed on me within
16 >> three months. I attempted another RMA, the drive's serial number was
17 >> rejected by their system, and I never heard back.
18 >>
19 >> So, I recommend not buying SAMSUNG drives for a combination of:
20 >> 1) Historical evidence of poor firmware design. (reference smartctl's
21 >> man page; SAMSUNG is the only manufacturer I know of to get two
22 >> user-selectable workarounds in smartctl.)
23 >> 2) I received a failed drive, which was RMA'd, the subsequent drive
24 >> failed shortly thereafter, and couldn't be RMA'd using normal
25 >> channels.
26 >> 3) No acknowledgement (or even denial) of the firmware issue.
27 >>
28 >> [1] Ok, sure, there's no way they'd be able to whip out a new firmware
29 >> revision in time for an RMA. That wouldn't make sense. But they might
30 >> have sent me a drive with a different firmware revision. Or a
31 >> different model. As it stood, they sent me back a device I'd already
32 >> identified as systemically defective.
33 >> [2] It claimed to support logging, but any failed test didn't get
34 >> appended to the log, but erased and replaced it. I can probably dig up
35 >> nearly all the details, but not quickly, since I'm at work. However,
36 >> since you're on the cusp of making a purchase, I thought I'd give you
37 >> fair warning...
38 >
39 > /dev/sda:
40 >
41 >  Model=SAMSUNG MMCRE64G5MXP-0VB, FwRev=VBM1901Q, SerialNo=S0FDNEAZ600013
42 >
43 > /dev/sdb:
44 >
45 >  Model=SAMSUNG HD502IJ, FwRev=1AA01109, SerialNo=S13TJDWQ346413
46 >
47 > /dev/sdc:
48 >
49 >  Model=SAMSUNG HD753LJ, FwRev=1AA01113, SerialNo=S13UJ1CQB07158
50 >
51 > /dev/sdd:
52 >
53 >  Model=SAMSUNG HD502HJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5, SerialNo=S20BJDWS913888
54 >
55 > /dev/sde:
56 >
57 >  Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ10001, SerialNo=S246JD1Z910209
58 >
59 > /dev/sdf:
60 >
61 >  Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5, SerialNo=S246JDWSA20722
62 >
63 > the 2tb drive is not connected at the moment - but, hey it's a Samsung - ans
64 > so quiet, that I sometimes forget to turn it off.
65 >
66 > Oh, yeah it was THAT 2tb drive with the smart bug.
67 >
68 > Which was solved with an easy to do firmware update.
69
70 I checked at the time. There was no firmware update, and, to my
71 knowledge, there never was for the drive model that failed on me.
72 Shortly after my second drive failed, Newegg discontinued selling
73 model. (The most I remember about the model number can be expressed as
74 a regex: HD10.*UI. I don't remember the firmware revision.
75
76 It was the combination of historical problems, personal incidental
77 experience and terrible customer service that led me to swear off
78 SAMSUNG drives. Take away any one of those issues from my experiences
79 at the time, and I'd consider buying another drive from them.
80
81 You've got six working drives of various sizes, models and firmware
82 revisions. Good for you. I've got a still-functional 40GB IBM
83 DeathStar. (It's not powered up right now, but it never failed on me
84 after five years of use.)
87 :wq