From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk - expanding a partition beyond 2TB
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:47:06
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27 Aug 2008, at 05:28, Dave Oxley wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I've just added a fourth disk to my Raid 5 set increasing the
6 >> capacity from 1.5TB to 2.25TB. I have 4 partitions on this volume
7 >> set; the fourth of which is 1.49TB which is then further subdivided
8 >> using lvm2. ...
9 >
10 > Hi there,
11 >
12 > Is the problem that you've got 4 partitions & this prevents you form
13 > making a 5th?
14 > Because using LVM I would simply create a new partition and add it to
15 > the volume group.
16 >
17 > The contents *should* indeed remain intact if one simply deletes the
18 > partition & recreates at the same starting point, yet larger. I'm sure
19 > I've used parted as well as cfdisk for this sort of thing in the past,
20 > yet hesitate to recommend either as I would fear making a typo with an
21 > unfamiliar tool, thereby rendering my data mythical.
22 >
23 > Stroller.
24 Yes, part of the problem is that I can't create a fifth partition.
25 However, even if possible, this wouldn't have been my ideal solution
26 anyway as it would negate some of the performance benefit gained from
27 having one huge partition over the whole array.
28
29 But my real question is, as I've reached the max partition for the msdos
30 partition table, can I migrate to a GPT partition table without losing
31 my data?
32
33 Cheers,
34 Dave.