From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Retro ...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:21:25
1 Hi,
2
3 curious about how that had felt in ancient times, when hardware
4 and software were limited, I tried 'ed' - the one and only
5 editor ;)
6
7 One feature I cant figure out (and the reason for that may be, that it
8 is not there... :) is:
9
10 One has to specify the line, which s/he wants to edit. This is
11 possible via regexp (which matches more than one line and may be
12 not, what you want) and via line numbers.
13
14 In case one wants to use line numbers:
15 One can list the whole text to the console...but the line numbers
16 are missing.
17 The "visual version of ed" called 'vi' is able to preceed any line
18 with a line number.
19
20 Is this possible with ed?
21 How does one know the number of a specific line?
22
23 Or do I miss something very fundamental here ???
24
25 Thanks for any help in advance!
26 Best regards,
27 Meino