From: Julien Roy <julien@××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get rid of preserved libs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 00:49:17
1 Thanks for this, I first tried to unmerge freetype and harfbuzz, then re-emerge them both with -harfbuzz USE flag on freetype, which didn't solve my problem, so I decided to unmerge all the packages that were listed in the message, which, although risky (bzip2 was included!), solved my problem.
2
3 I did end up "breaking" my system due to unmerging bzip2 but thankfully I had another Gentoo system on the same architecture to copy over the bzip2 binary and allow me to rebuild the packages.
4 After doing this, I no longer have any preserved packages output from portage, so my problem is solved!
5
6 Thanks again,
7 Julien
8 --
9 Sent with Tutanota, the secure & ad-free mailbox.
13 Nov 21, 2021, 16:54 by antlists@××××××××××××.uk:
14
15 > I bet you've got a circular dependency on freetype and harfbuzz. Look for a thread I started with the subject "The old wine/harfbuzz/freetype circle" - you need to track down the package which is holding those two.
16 >
17 > What I would try is to forcibly remove (emerge -C) both those two packages, and then hope it sorts itself out. The danger is you then get another nasty conundrum as they try and re-install themselves .
18 >
19 > The other thing is, try and find out whether libglib and libpng16 are critical. libpng certainly not, libglib I don't know. You might have to forcibly remove them as well.
20 >
21 > I had the problem the other way round, I was trying to add abi_x86_32 for wine, and basically it's that harfbuzz won't install because it needs freetype to be installed first, and freetype won't install because it needs harfbuzz to be installed first. Whoops!
22 >
23 > You need to force harfbuzz to install with "USE=-freetype", then you can install freetype, then you can install harfbuzz (or the other way round, doesn't matter). What does matter is you need to track down the problematic package that needs both harfbuzz and freetype and is locking them in.
24 >
25 > I *think* what I did was try to force install one of them without depending on the other, then looking at the trace which told me which package was over-riding my use settings, temporarily deleting that package (emerge -C pango in my case), emerging freetype and harfbuzz --oneshot without dependencies on each other, and then just an "update world" to clean up the mess.
26 >
27 > Cheers,
28 > Wol