From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:44:58
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:16, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 [SNIP]
3 > I understand that every package is out there in some repository on the
4 > web. I think Neil has pointed me toward it once or twice at least. The
5 > problem is for a user type like me, and yes, I'm *purely* a user type,
6 > it's a bit beyond my skillset today to go get it and build the overlay
7 > myself.
8
9 Yes, http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/ . And it contains every
10 ebuild (and patch) that has ever been in the tree. It really isn't that hard.
11
12 > I've mentioned this in the past but the idea has never gained
13 > traction. If portage is thinking about removing an ebuild from my
14 > machine why not just move it to some location on my machine so I've
15 > always got a copy of what I was running? I could build my overlay from
16 > what's been moved there. No pain at all. Or I can do what you suggest
17 > and remove it.
18
19 Portage already copies the ebuild into the vdb (/var/db/pkg/$category/$name)
20 when you install a package. You can copy the ebuild from there. The problem
21 is when it requires patches in $FILESDIR which isn't copied to the vdb.
24 Bo Andresen