From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Accessing a Samsung phone and it's data.
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 17:07:09
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.08.08 03:47, james wrote:
3 >> On 7/31/19 2:21 PM, Jack wrote:
4 >> > On 2019.07.31 12:25, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
5 >> >> On 2019-07-30 22:44, Dale wrote:
6 >> >>
7 >> >>> I wonder, if I bought a bluetooth USB thingy and put that on my
8 >> >>> puter, would that help any? Since I hooked up my wifi router and it
9 >> >>> uses that, would that help? Or is the USB cable directly connected
10 >> >>> the best way?
11 >> >>
12 >> >> I have a USB to BT adaptor.? It's worse than paperweight: I could
13 >> >> never make it work on gentoo, or any other kind of Linux.? I think it
14 >> >> might be like the infamous Winmodems of old, requiring a proprietary
15 >> >> driver to do anything at all.
16 >> >
17 >> > I have one that works just fine.? It shows up with lsusb as:
18 >> >
19 >> > Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
20 >> Bluetooth
21 >> > Dongle (HCI mode)
22 >> >
23 >> > I ordered it online, for not much money, but I'd have to dig to see
24 >> if I
25 >> > still have any records of where I ordered it.? (eBay is likely)? I'd
26 >> > also have to do some digging to see if I needed to modify my kernel
27 >> > config to add anything for it.? So far, I have only used it for a
28 >> > headset, and I know I went through a number of trials and errors
29 >> before
30 >> > getting it to work consistently, but it does work fine.
31 >> >
32 >> > Jack
33 >> >
36 >> Hello Jack,
37 >>
38 >> Not sure this device would work for you; but if your phone has a type-C
39 >> port, it be interesting to try. For that matter, I'm not sure it will
40 >> work with linux (Gentoo, RHEL, *buntu....) But it sure looks promising.
41 >>
42 >> https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-3USB3-0-Multiport-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B07DHQ2X8Z
45 >> hth,
46 >> James
47 >
48 > Thanks, but I have no need for anything like that (nor does my phone
49 > [not a Samsung] have a USB-C port) but perhaps for Dale?
53 Picking random reply, sort of.  Well, I finally got my SD card in.  I
54 bought a 32GB one but found a good deal on a 64GB one that was really
55 close by so I ordered it.  Still waiting on the 32GB one to arrive.
56 Anyway, I put the 64GB one in the phone when it got here yesterday.  I
57 haven't tested SSHelper or anything yet.  I've only taken one picture
58 with the phone so far.  I may try to access it in a bit and at least see
59 if I can view/download/etc that one pic.  Still trying to sort out this
60 "cloud" thingy too.  I saved something to something "cloud" this morning
61 when it popped up that I could.  Let's not ask me about details tho. ROFL
62
63 While a couple other SD cards were giving me issues, this one worked
64 right away.  It formatted fine and all.  I think a couple of my other SD
65 cards are dead.  Thing is, they work with some devices but not others.
66 I haven't quite figured out the common factor yet.  Suspect the cards
67 have a issue tho.
68
69 It won't let me text a image.  When I had my old Razr, they gave me a
70 really good deal on my monthly plan but I think they turned some things
71 off to bring the price down.  I have unlimited talk and text but the old
72 Razr didn't do pics either, or at least I didn't.  No internet at all.
73 I suspect I'll have to talk to AT&T and get some things changed around a
74 bit with my plan.  May even have to upgrade plans for it to work.
75
76 This may take some doing.  May run to the AT&T store right quick.
77 Tomorrow's Friday and the people in that city drive like idiots on
78 Friday.  People drive like it is the Indy 500 or something and they plan
79 to win no matter who they have to run over.
80
81 While I been dreading this upgrade, it has a LOT of good changes.
82 Texting is much easier as I expected.  Signal is better as well.  I
83 couldn't get a signal in my living room but can get a couple bars with
84 the new phone.  The biggest thing I don't like really, size.  It is
85 bigger, much bigger.  My old Razr when closed was fairly tiny by
86 comparison.  Still, overall, it is much better than expected.
87
88 As to the device linked above, I'm going to have to read up on what that
89 does exactly.  It might help but might not.  One thing, I moved some
90 apps to the SD card so I don't want to remove the card unless it is a
91 must.  That's why I want to have some way to download them to my puter.
92 Maybe that "cloud" thingy will offer options.  :/
93
94 Oh, it is Linux based too.  I wonder if it is Gentoo related???
95
96 Dale
97