From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Graphics Card Advice
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 05:05:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I have just bought a RX 5600 XT and after a few issues with screen
4 freezing after kernel starts loading, resolved by compiling EFIFB (no
5 previous FB compiled in) the card has been working fine for 2 days
6 booting normally. The machine then started not to boot, not even to get
7 to BIOS (so you couldn't even press DEL to get to BIOS screen). I took
8 the card out and replaced with old card and PC started fine. I tried
9 this 4 times and still with new card PC would not even POST. I don't
10 have a little speaker to here if there are any beeps.
11
12 I am returning the card as it feels like that is the problem but have a
13 nagging suspicion this could be some other problem like power supply. I
14 have 700W coolermaster PSU which should be ample (according to websites)
15 but is 9 years (amazingly they had the foresight to provide 8 and 6 pin
16 cables which were both plugged in).
17
18 My next issue is do I get another 5600 XT (different brand) or are
19 nvidia equivalent better? I have always been an AMD fan. Could I end up
20 in the same boat.
21
22 PC spec - ASUS 470 Pro MB with 2700 Ryzen.
23
24 Any advice would be much appreciated?
25
26 John