From: marco restelli <mrestelli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel modules: initramfs vs. /lib/modules
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:54:10
1 2017-02-10 13:35 GMT+01:00, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 6:58 AM, marco restelli <mrestelli@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >> I am trying to understand a bit initramfs and genkernel and I have
6 >> few (basic) questions.
7 >
8 >> - how does genkernel decide which modules to put in the initramfs ?
9 >
10 > I can't speak to genkernel specifically, but most initramfs generators
11 > include all modules. Other than space and miniscule load time there
12 > isn't much reason not to.
13
14 After checking, genkernel copies only some modules into the initramfs,
15 unless the --all-ramdisk-modules flag is used.
16
17 Concerning the rest of your reply: thank you so much, it really helped
18 me a lot!
19
20 Could you suggest any reference about how an initramfs can help making
21 it easier to identify the correct root filesystem? Does this
22 functionality overlap with what grub can do, or is something
23 different?
24
25 Thank you,
26 Marco