From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file system problems - what is proper maintanence?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:06:37
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I seem to have file system problems on my external
3 > 1394 hard drives. I do not know if this is due to a recent move
4 > to 2.6.17-rt1, or bad maintenance on my part, or just bad luck.
5
6 Hopefully just bad luck (a failing drive, or a power hickup), but a
7 kernel bug can't be ruled out. As for bad maintenance... with any
8 data that you value, a regular disk inspection is needed: a maximum
9 mount count of something like 15 or an interval of two weeks.
10
11 > This evening, for no good reason since I don't know what I am
12 > doing, I decided to run fsck and let it look around and fix
13 > things if it wanted to. I wouldn't know how to do any better.
14
15 Use tune2fs to set the checking interval to 1 week. Or better yet,
16 to 1 day for now, to keep inspecting the disk everyday for a while.
17 Use 'tunefs -l ...' to see the current values.
18
19 > At the end of this I wondered if there is really any value to a
20 > journaled file system? Did it protect me? I cannot tell.
21
22 It won't protect you when the disk is going bad, nor when the kernel
23 has bugs. It only protects you from losing data during a sudden
24 power loss.
25
26 Benno
27 --