From: Matt Richards <matt@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Arrrgggh!! rm -Rf /proc
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:51:15
2 > Will rm -Rf /proc hose a system? I didn't run rm -Rf /proc directly,
3 > but I did do it indirectly. I had mount --bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
4 > and then forgot about it. I then ran rm -Rf /mnt/gentoo to start a
5 > stage 3 again forgetting that /boot and /proc were both mount
6 > --bind[ed] to /mnt/gentoo.
7 >
8 > Could this hose my system? I don't want to reboot yet if it could. I
9 > want to fix what ever I can.
10 >
11 > Grrr, I just looked and /boot/ is wiped clean! I guess I can redo grub
12 > and I still have my kernel under /usr/src. What about /proc? Would
13 > running rm -Rf /proc kill anything?
14 >
15 mlaptop proc # rm -rfv /proc/config.gz
16 rm: cannot remove `/proc/config.gz': Operation not permitted
17
18 are you sure ? proc is like a dynamic filesystem they aren't really files
19 just virtual files that the kernel are displaying ... if you some how have
20 whiped proc you can probuly just ...
21
22 mount -o remount /proc
23
24 n it will be fine...
25
26 give ...
27 mkdir /mnt/proc
28 mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
29 a little seein' too ;)
30
31 but no you should be fine ..
32
33 as for /boot .. you silly billy :) hehe!
34 and just be thankful you didn't get the wrong terminal and remove your
35 current filesystem, lol
36
37 Matt.
38 >