From: Justin Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] discarding sources of old kernels
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:33:44
1 On AD 2008 July 16 Wednesday 07:08:15 PM -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I keep a few old kernel binaries around that I know have worked.
3 > They are not ancient; the oldest is 2.6.19*
4 >
5 > Am I correct in believing that I can run these backup kernels even if
6 > I discard the corresponding sources. I am fairly sure that I need
7 > keep only the contents of /lib/modules/<version> and can discard
8 > /usr/src/linux-version, but would appreciate confirmation.
9
10 You just won't be able to build modules against them, for example. I've
11 run lots of kernels (on gentoo) after having deleted the source tree.
12 All other distributions I've ever run had the source in a completely
13 separate package.
16 Justin
17 --
18 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list