From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FEATURES="test" -- Should this work?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:39:21
1 On Tuesday 26 June 2007 17:15:45 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > > '[gentoo-user] FEATURES="test" -- Should this work?':
3 > > I recently enabled the "test" feature on Portage
4
5 It varies quite a bit between packages and maintainers. If you are sure there
6 doesn't exist a bug for those packages already then I think it's ok to file
7 some bugs about it. Don't file too many at once but wait and see what happens
8 with the first reports before filing more. I.e. unless of course you have a
9 fix. :)
10
11 > I use paludis,. which does testing by default, and I've seen a number of
12 > packages fail tests. I simply mask those specific versions.
13
14 So I guess you've masked packages such as binutils, autoconf and automake? Who
15 needs those anyway? *grin* ;)
16
17 > Last time I checked, bug reports coming from alternative package manager
18 > users were closed "fairly quickly".
19
20 It depends very much on who the maintainer is. Some maintainers do support
21 Paludis users.. The official stance is, however, that filing bugs using
22 Paludis is currently discouraged.
23
24 > Since you are using portage, your bugs may get a little more attention, but
25 > I think the general consensus is that "tests aren't important" so they
26 > generally get dropped to low priority, ignored until the next release, then
27 > closed with a "refile if it affects the current release" message.
28
29 Test failures are much more important if they are new. I.e. if the previous
30 release didn't fail...
33 Bo Andresen