From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] /etc/shadow perms group shadow?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:24:27
1 On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 02:01:54 +0100
2 Michele Schiavo <gentoo@××××××××××××××.it> wrote:
3
4 > /etc/sudoers ??
7 I think I'm trying to avoid running under sudo. Yes, that works, but must have other security implications?
8
9 In researching the problem, the workaround I posted was cribbed from other distros which have a 'shadow' group. This is why I posted here, to see if this is common (as I now suspect), why isn't it used in Gentoo? A decision must have been made at some point?
10
11 Ultimately, the apache:apache user will be running this code. I expect to have to add apache to the group shadow to be able to use the app. I don't want apache in the sudoers file, nor do I think it'd solve the problem, since my user is in the sudoers file but only can access /etc/shadow when running under sudo. I don't see this as a way to launch my webserver..??
12
13 I admit I'm flying in the dark, as is usual. I could be totally wrong.
14
15 Thanks for the input, though!
16
17 Cheers,