From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:57:25
1 On Nov 26, 2011 9:05 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
6 > 2011/11/25 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
7 >>
8 >> I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
9 >> highly-partitioned, like this:
10 >>
11 >> /
12 >> /boot
15 > okay
18 >> /usr
21 > why? just makes your life harder.
24 Why will it make my life harder.
27 >> /tmp
30 > okay
33 >> /usr/portage ==> via NFS
36 > if it makes you happy...
39 The portage tree will be shared among Gentoo boxen.
42 >> /var
45 > okay
48 >> /var/lib/postgresql
51 > ?
54 I'm using PostgreSQL, and the database IMO should be safely kept in a
55 separate partition.
56
57 >> /var/tmp
60 > okay
63 >> /var/log
66 > why?
69 Postfix's log files are huge.
70
71 >> /var/spool
74 > why?
75
76 Postfix.
80 >> (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
81 >> /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
82 >>
83 >> I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
84 >> are as many number as search-hits.
85 >>
86 >> So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
89 > if you really have to split up /var like this, do yourself some favours
90 and spread it over several disks. Also don't put /var and /usr on the same
91 disk.
94 Indeed.
98 >> (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
101 > yes, a lot.
104 :-)
105
106 Rgds,