From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] how to delete a directory tree really fast
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:29:02
1 On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 7:36 AM Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
4 > There are more than 55,000 files on some <PREVBackUp> which is located
5 > on a BTRFS file system.
6 > Standard 'rm -rf' is really slow.
7 >
8 > Is there anything I can do about this?
11 I don't have any solid suggestions as I haven't used btrfs in a while.
12 File deletion speed is something that is very filesystem specific, but
13 on most it tends to be slow.
14
15 An obvious solution would be garbage collection, which is something
16 used by some filesystems but I'm not aware of any mainstream ones.
17 You can sort-of get that behavior by renaming a directory before
18 deleting it. Suppose you have a directory created by a build system
19 and you want to do a new build. Deleting the directory takes a long
20 time. So, first you rename it to something else (or move it someplace
21 on the same filesystem which is fast), then you kick off your build
22 which no longer sees the old directory, and then you can delete the
23 old directory slowly at your leisure. Of course, as with all garbage
24 collection, you need to have the spare space to hold the data while it
25 gets cleaned up.
26
27 I'm not sure if btffs is any faster at deleting snapshots/reflinks
28 than hard links. I suspect it wouldn't be, but you could test that.
29 Instead of populating a directory with hard links, create a snapshot
30 of the directory tree, and then rsync over it/etc. The result looks
31 the same but is COW copies. Again, I'm not sure that btrfs will be
32 any faster at deleting reflinks than hard links though - they're both
33 similar metadata operations. I see there is a patch in the works for
34 rsync that uses reflinks instead of hard links to do it all in one
35 command. That has a lot of benefits, but again I'm not sure if it
36 will help with deletion.
37
38 You could also explore other filesystems that may or may not have
39 faster deletion, or look to see if there is any way to optimize it on
40 btrfs.
41
42 If you can spare the space, the option of moving the directory to make
43 it look like it was deleted will work on basically any filesystem. If
44 you want to further automate it you could move it to a tmp directory
45 on the same filesystem and have tmpreaper do your garbage collection.
46 Consider using ionice to run it at a lower priority, but I'm not sure
47 how much impact that has on metadata operations like deletion.
50 Rich