From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dmesg warning about mtrr: type mismatch and allocation failed
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:56:21
1 On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  I'm running 64-bit Gentoo on an Intel 4-core i3 with an Intel integrated
3 > graphics controller.  An excerpt from dmesg follows, with the video-
4 > related stuff.  Note the two lines that I've split off.  They mention
5 > the mtrr type mismatch and the allocation failure.  Is this a problem
6 > and if so, what do I do about it?
7
8 ...
9
10 > [    0.608643] mtrr: type mismatch for d0000000,10000000 old: write-back new: write-combining
11 > [    0.608725] [drm] MTRR allocation failed.  Graphics performance may suffer.
12
13 I had a similar message, it was there because of the fact that i
14 specified the wrong (or failed to specify?) mtrr method in my kernel
15 boot parameters for the framebuffer. I'm using uvesafb and in kernel
16 documentation (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt) it
17 explains the values and even gives an example of this error and what
18 to do about it:
19
20 <cut>
21 mtrr:n Setup memory type range registers for the framebuffer
22 where n:
23 0 - disabled (equivalent to nomtrr) (default)
24 1 - uncachable
25 2 - write-back
26 3 - write-combining
27 4 - write-through
28
29 If you see the following in dmesg, choose the type that matches
30 the old one. In this example, use "mtrr:2".
31 ...
32 mtrr: type mismatch for e0000000,8000000 old: write-back new: write-combining
33 ...
34 </cut>
35
36 After I changed my mtrr setting in grub's config & rebooted, the error
37 message went away.
38
39 HTH :)