From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:17:40
1 > Communications between IPv4 end points use PMTUD by setting a Don't Fragment
2 > (DF) bit in the headers of the outgoing packet. If a router/server along the
3 > path has a smaller MTU, it will drop that packet and respond with an ICMP
4 > 'Destination Unreachable -- Fragmentation Needed' packet including its smaller
5 > MTU value. Upon receiving this smaller packet value the initiating host will
6 > dynamically reduce the size of the outgoing packets, until the packet arrives
7 > at its intended destination. PMTUD should always be switched on in any well
8 > behaving network implementation, but here's the rub: some network nodes,
9 > firewalls, servers are configured to never respond with *any* ICMP packets
10 > (because they think that this is a way to avoid DDoS problems and the like).
11 > Therefore, the initiating host keeps sending large packets never knowing that
12 > they are dropped on the way. This network problem is known as a PMTUD black
13 > hole and is explained better here:
14
15 Could ICMP packets not getting through be to blame for my proxy server
16 problem? My laptop can't seem to ping anyone (blocked at the firewall
17 in this hotel I suppose) and certainly the proxy server can't ping my
18 laptop.
19
20 - Grant