From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:03:44
1 On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Technically, we should do a power down test every 6 months or so, but
3 > that turns out not to be a yes/no test in real life; it's a yes/destroy
4 > test and no-one wants to make a decision either way. So we all sit in
5 > limbo and wait for some exterior event to decide for us (like black-outs)
8 Half the time these are ancient services that have long been replaced
9 but nobody can bring themselves to make the call to get rid of the old
10 servers. Maybe there were 10M records in the database and 9.998M of
11 them were migrated to a new database, but due to some issue the rest
12 couldn't be, so the old server stays up just in case anybody ever
13 needs the old data, and so on.
14
15 Typically these would just stick around until finally some hardware
16 component fails, and then it gets written off.
17
18 Sadly, this course of forcing hands seems to be going away. At work
19 somebody tried to hand me an ancient system to look after in my spare
20 time. Apparently they just finished virtualizing it. Go figure -
21 they have VAX VMs available for Linux these days. The problem is that
22 KT and maintaining documentation and not being the person who gets the
23 finger pointed at when something goes wrong costs the company time and
24 money, and in this case for almost zero value.
25
26 Usually the problems with technology aren't technical in nature...
29 Rich