From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:00:21
1 On 11/16/05, Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > This is a lot longer than I originally intended it to be so if you want the
3 > jist of it skip to the end.
4 >
5 > (DISCLAIMER: Let me start off by saying that this is truly not a flame but
6 > more of a concern. So please do not flame me for stating my
7 > opinions/concerns.)
8
9 Guess you won't get any flames, just considerable advices, cause we
10 don't wanna loose a Gentooer :)
11
12 > I have been an avid Gentoo User for 2 and 1/2 years now. I have installed
13 > Gentoo on many different platforms including HPPA and Sparc, not too mention
14 > the countless x86 installs. I have never had a problem, every install has
15 > went smooth. I have done both Stage3 and Stage1 installs (I have always
16 > preferred a Stage1 install).
17 >
18 > Recently, I decided that it was time to reinstall due to the numerous
19 > packages that I had installed and different DE's / WM configurations, and I
20 > must admit that I have recently been diving into LVM2 and encryption (I
21 > figured that starting from scratch would be my best bet). In the past I
22 > have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge). But since this was
23 > going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred method and set all
24 > ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific packages.
25
26 I would never even consider completely reinstall a working
27 environment, specially one that installation and configuration is 90%
28 of the work you'll ever have dealing with the machine (except maybe
29 for hardware failures).
30
31 > Now since we have the background we will get to the questions at hand.
32 > During this install I have run into nothing but problems. I boot from the
33 > livecd just fine (if I append nopcmcia and dolvm2) and everything goes
34 > smooth. NOTE: I am performing this install step by step from the online
35 > handbook with a slight modification I am using LVM2 for /usr /usr/portage
36 > /opt /var /tmp /home (I figured I would take advantage of some setuid
37 > security procedures). Part way through the online handbook I noticed that
38 > they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
39 > thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot. So
40 > I installed everything according to the handbook and all went well until I
41 > restarted.
42
43 You see, I'm one of those guys that think: "if you got the livecd
44 working, network, maybe video, sound or anything else with NO DISC,
45 your system is gentooable". :) of course you may run into problems
46 accourding to your config and special needs, it always happened to me,
47 but hey, at least you know what you're doying, not like those easy,
48 complete, fast and general installations that keeps LOTS of trash
49 making your system crawl compared to a clean, wise and configurated
50 environment.
51
52 > After restarting I noticed that ipw2200 did not load properly was posted in
53 > my boot mesg WTF. I distinctly remembered during the install that I waited
54 > until after I installed the kernel, then I went ahead and installed the
55 > external modules. (NOTE: I did not use the built in kernel modules for
56 > ipw2200 or ieee80211 I had read too many horror stories about incompatible
57 > versions of ipw2200-firmware and I have always had good luck with the
58 > external drivers) One other thing, instead of going for pure on the edge
59 > goodness of using a Nitro-esque kernel (one optimized for speed over
60 > stability) I decided to use Gentoo-sources again trusting the developers
61 > judgement. After searching through tons of articles regarding ipw2200
62 > drivers not working with the latest "Stable" Gentoo-Sources I decided to go
63 > with the kernel drivers and give them a shot. I recompiled rebooted and low
64 > and behold the drivers still weren't working. After trying all sorts of
65 > different combinations Unstable versions of this stable versions of that.
66 > Nothing worked, so I proceeded to reboot back into the livecd and re-chroot
67 > into my system so I could get a network connection and install the Madwifi
68 > Drivers, for a pcmcia card that I have laying around. Also note that the
69 > Madwifi drivers are considered Unstable. I rebooted the computer and the
70 > drivers actually worked (Yea Unstable). So I got the network connection up,
71 > then I decided to go ahead and install X (I thought that it would be easier
72 > to troubleshoot the ipw drivers from a graphical environment copy, paste,
73 > multiple xterms.). Well I compiled and installed Xorg and compiled and
74 > installed nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx, and what do you think happened (btw I
75 > copied over a backed up xorg.conf from the last installation so I know that
76 > that conf file works and is correct) I went to startx...........It kicked
77 > back saying screens were found but no usable configs......So down
78 > troubleshooting lane I went. I recompiled, verified I did not have agpgart
79 > / dri enabled in kernel, then with both in kernel, stable and unstable
80 > versions of nvidia-kernel / nvidia-glx, everything a no go.. I finally
81 > settled with using Xorg's nv driver. Now here I am with a really nice
82 > laptop (Sony S-460) but with no video hardware acceleration, the inablility
83 > to use the built in wireless card (NOTE: before the reinstall everything was
84 > working).
85 >
86 > So now I am waiting for the whole system to recompile using ~x86 (the so
87 > called "Unstable" packages) and I will see if that works or not.
88
89 I'm a stable user, so, would never do that, can't predict what can go wrong...
90
91 > I am seriously reconsidering finding another OS to use, this whole headache
92 > has been totally ridiculous. I could see this if I would have emerged all
93 > of the unstable packages to begin with or even perform a Stage1 install
94 > after the developers decided to make the Stage3 the default. But I didn't I
95 > did everything according to the documentation (and I triple checked that I
96 > did not skip anything).
97
98 Well, Gentoo is choices, you can even choose not to use it, but it was
99 always the best choice for everything Linux I've needed so far... OK,
100 so, I spent a week configuration my last system install, but its
101 working for about 3 months now, flawless, it was worth the time spent.
102 At home, it took me a month to completely setup the system, including
103 Xorg and Desktop Manager, well, nine or so months flawless, my memory
104 was gone bad, my CD drive broke, and still, my system OS is up-to-date
105 and running. Never got nothing like this with any OS I've tried.
106
107 > So with all of this said if the developers do not start testing everything a
108 > little more thoroughly then I predict there will be a serious drop in the
109 > number of Gentoo Followers out there. Especially if a Gentoo Veteren has
110 > this hard of a time installing the operating system that I love.
111
112 I can sincerely disagree with you. And that's why I have spread the
113 word and made a lot of friends start working with gentoo, most of them
114 liked it and are spreading the word. Of course, installing gentoo is a
115 time consuming task, configuring it is even more time consuming, but
116 hey, that's a small price to pay for complete control over your
117 system.
118
119 > When a branch is marked stable all of the packages in that branch should
120 > work, yes there will always be configuration glitches but the problems I
121 > have had during this install were not from configuration glitches. They are
122 > what looks like incompatible packages and numerous other things. If Gentoo
123 > is going to continue to grow then we as a community need to speak up about
124 > things like this.
125
126 Testing is hard work, I would not blame the Gentoo Team for this,
127 there are infinite combinations of hardware, software and configs that
128 may cause different problems, and if you want a working system that is
129 flawless, fast and reliable, you give up some good stuff from other
130 OSs, like easy installs, easy hardware replacement, easy
131 configuration.
132
133 This is just my 2 cents, many people will disagree, but I won't change
134 my OS for a long time, Gentoo rocks, and small changes (like stage1
135 for stage3 default install) won't harm me that much, I choose installs
136 depending on hardware and network availability, not just because one
137 is faster or default. I'm even considering Gentoo compatibility when
138 buying new hardware for my systems, and advicing my fellows at work to
139 do the same, if Gentoo runs it, to hell with the rest.
140
141 > --
143 > Derek Tracy
144 > tracyde@×××××.com