From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] synchronize portage files in a LAN
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:08:24
1 Crístian Viana schrieb:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the
5 > same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can
6 > use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if
7 > there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one
8 > local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it
9 > (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also
10 > thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone
11 > will always be "synchronized".
12 >
13 > what's the best approach for this case?
14 >
15 > thanks!
16 >
17 > --
18 > Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
19
20 Slow network or WLAN? Use a local rsync server. There is a package for
21 this (app-admin/gentoo-rsync-mirror) and instructions on the net.
22
23 While you are at it, you could also install an http or ftp proxy for
24 distfiles. net-proxy/http-replicator should do it if you do not want a
25 complete proxy infrastructure.
26
27 >=100MBit connection? Use NFS. You should not only put your portage tree
28 on this but also distfiles and /var/cache/edb. Do not do this with
29 /var/db/pkg, however.
30
31 Hope this helps
32 Florian Philipp