From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Number of open Bugzilla bugs (Was: Question about gentoo-sources kernel release versions)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 22:25:03
3 > You might want to take note of the email address for Rich. He is a
4 > developer and has a better understanding of the inner workings of Gentoo.
5 > When he posts about how things work within Gentoo, he does it with
6 > knowledge that most users don't have.
7 >
8 > The thing about Gentoo is this. There's not enough manpower to do
9 > everything that every user wants. If a user wants something that the
10 > current devs can't deliver, then that user has few options. If that user
11 > is capable of creating a patch to fix a bug, then they can do so and apply
12 > that patch locally. If that user can help with the ebuild and post
13 > patches/fixes to BGO, git or whatever then they can do that. However, it
14 > still falls to the active dev as to whether he/she applies it or not. It
15 > could be that the patch fixes one problem but creates another based on USE
16 > flags etc. The devs do tend to test fixes before putting them in the tree
17 > even if the test may be limited in scope. The other option is to wait for
18 > someone else to fix it, the bug to be fixed by the dev etc. I fall into
19 > the last category because I don't code. Even my scripts don't deserve to
20 > be called that but I don't think there is a name for my little script
21 > thingys.
22 >
23 > Ignore Rich if you want but you would be the one missing out on inside
24 > info.
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
31 Thank you Dale.
32
33 I'm well aware of who Rich is. That's why I was discussing the subject with
34 him in the first place.